Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Beautiful verse by Ibn al Arabi

From Sadia Dehlvi's column in THE HINDI, the newspaper of Hyderabad:
Her column was entitled, "Sufi's Light on Divinity", about the Sufi Mystic, Shaykh Muhyddin Ibn al Arabi, aka Shaykh ul Akbar. This verse by Ibn al Arabi (who died in 1240, remembered for his contribution in understanding Divine Love):
"Wonder, A garden among flames!
My heart has become capable of every form:
A pasture for gazelles & a convent for Christian monks,
And a temple for idols, and the pilgrim's Kaaba,
The tables of the Torah and the book of the Koran.
I believe in the religion of Love,
Whatever direction its caravans may take,
For love is my religion and my faith."

I will be emailing Sadia to get permission to reprint her article in its entirety - it really touched my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment